Hanami


Hanami is the Japanese word for the viewing of cherry blossoms in the springtime. There are festivals and cherry blossom viewing parties, and people gather in the parks and public spaces to picnic and celebrate the blooming of the cherry trees. The cherry blossom is the national flower of Japan, and Hanami a custom dating back to the 7th century.

I can relate. The cherry trees that rim my lower patio are in full bloom now, and their delicate yet exuberant cloud of blossoms does seem to warrant a party, or at least a special cup of tea and an idle moment to fully enjoy.

At one time I owned a piece of country property with an abundance of wild cherry trees. They were so prolific that there were plenty for the birds to gorge on and leave some for me. The cherries were dark, almost black, and about the size of a blueberry. They were also very high in the tree. It took a ladder and a good part of the afternoon to fill a small bucket. I was determined to make the most of this bounty, and I diligently picked cherries for days. They were quite sour and not so good to eat fresh, but they made fantastic pies and preserves. They also had to be pitted before I could make anything. And, they were the size of blueberries. That is a LOT of pits. I spent cherry season picking and pitting cherries, and produced a small but extremely delicious batch of wild cherry jam.

Now I am busier and it's hard to imagine devoting my week or month to such a chore. But surely I can find an afternoon to eat and drink and sing, and enjoy the viewing of the cherry blossoms.

Comments

Popular Posts