Nifty Fifty

My favorite lens is off to the manufacturer for repair, and I am feeling bereft. I have other lenses, very good lenses, but they aren't my good, familiar friend like my favorite. I know it's heft, it's range, it's nuances. It has been my partner for long enough, that it is like another appendage, a limb I use without thought. I spent a few days staring forlornly at my camera and pining away. I shopped online a little... I could just buy another one! Today! But no, patience, I can have patience. I shuffled through my camera bag, rubbing my own nose in my loss I suppose. My fingers wrapped around a small little bit of a lens, tucked into the corner. I don't normally use this one, but maybe I could? Maybe it would be fun to try something different.

I popped this little lens onto my camera. The Nifty Fifty, they call it. It's a 50mm lens, offering a perspective closest to the human eye. It's been made for decades; the original design standing the test of time. It's fast, lightweight, sharp, and cheap. The exact lens I have on my camera today, was in use on my husband's film camera when he was in high school (which was a LOT of years ago...). I wandered around my hometown of Camas, playing, just wanting to get comfortable with this new point of view. And you know what? I like it! I like seeing things from a little different angle. How often do we take ourselves outside our comfort zone and look at the world in a whole new way?

A share today, from my Nifty Fifty:

Comments

Studio Lumiere said…
I am sorry for the void you must feel, missing your beloved lens. I am very fond of it, as well... to get thru the tough times, i like to make a suggestion, call Pro Photo and rent their 85 mm F1.4 lens - by the end of the day you will be asking yourself, how you could live without.
I hope you and yours will have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year !
Love,
Ilona
Carla said…
Ilona, would you believe I *own* an 85mm 1.4?? Hubby surprised me on our anniversary with this bit of extravagance, and you're right, I don't want to live without that one either!

Popular Posts