Photography


I really do love photography. I love it that a person could actually make a living, doing *photography*! But could I? The critical side of my brain says "That is an artsy fartsy fantasy. When so many people slog away at a *real* job to pay the bills, why should I have the luxury of doing something I love?" The reality - Plenty of people make a good living in doing what they love. And those who don't, wish they could!

I'm going to give myself a chance to learn photography. I will make the time and energy to learn the skills I need to be a photographer. I fully recognize the privilege and luxury of being able to do this, and along with the inexplicable guilt I feel for being the lucky one, I am thankful every day for the support of my husband which makes this possible. Someone around here needs a paycheck, after all (and I am happy to say, he earns his doing something he loves!).

I signed up for a college photography class at Clark College. I have not taken a class for an actual grade in... 23 years? Could I really be that old?! I must be, because my classmates appear to me to be about 12 years old.

I am taking Introduction to Digital Photography. My teacher has an MFA in Photography, and a refreshing point of view. I assumed a DSLR would be necessary, but he says no, this class is about the images you make, not what you make them with. Wow. In this spirit, I passed the time in a traffic jam playing with the camera on my cell phone. I think the results are kind of wild and cool!

Comments

Popular Posts