Score One for The Compact

I was rushing to clean up and leave the house yesterday when my hair dryer just... quit. Kablooey. Nothing. I shook it a few times. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Turned all the buttons on and off a few times. That is the extent of my hair dryer repair skills. My first thought was "Oh good! I saw a great deal on a nice hair dryer at Costco!" Oops, no go. I don't want to live without one. So I made time to swing by the Goodwill store, and wow, they had a whole pile of great hair dryers? Why would a person get rid of one? What does a new one do that the old one can't? I had my last one for at least 20 years; I can remember using it in college! Anyway, I now have a new/used hair dryer, for only $4.99.

And while I was looking around, I spotted another treasure... the storage drawers I've been wanting! $6.99! Of course I snapped them up, and a couple of (really great) books for good measure. I spent about the same as I would have for the Costco hair dryer (and who ever gets out of Costco with ONE thing?), but I didn't buy anything new, I supported a (sort of) service organization, and I got a lot more for my money. I'm pretty sure The Compact didn't intend for you to use thrift shopping to fill your home with junk, and I can easily see that happening. Maybe Take Two will be decluttering? Haven't decided yet.

Comments

Popular Posts