The Compact and Bikini Girl


The Compact is off to a rough start. First of all, my Goodwill hair dryer didn't work! It worked in the store - I did test it - but once home it would turn on only sporadically. I guess that's why it was donated, but still... why? Why would you donate something to be sold, knowing that it didn't work? You don't want to take up space in your trashcan with a 12 ounce piece of electronics? I took it back to the Goodwill store, and they graciously gave me a refund, which I used to purchase another $4.99 hair dryer. I tested them multiple times before selecting one, and sure enough, there was another version on the shelf that didn't work. Buyer beware, I guess.

Then I goofed again. I had purchased Christmas cards and pretty paper to print letters on. I messed up the letters and omitted a section, so I had to print another batch, but I had already stuffed about 30 cards and sealed them shut, and I didn't think I would be able to salvage the sealed envelopes once I reopened them. So, I went to Office Depot and bought another batch of cards, the same cards, so the new envelopes would fit the cards I had already signed. Of course they were really cheap (since it's now January), so if economy were the goal I'd be spot on, but it's not. The idea is to not purchase anything new, and I blew it on that.

Then, I took my son to Walmart today. We were looking for a fish for his aquarium. I'm not sure how that fits into the "don't buy new" plan. Of course buying at Walmart does not fit the goals of The Compact, no matter what you are buying. But what about fish? A fish isn't technically "new" (or "used" for that matter). And those fish don't have a very nice life; one might argue that buying them is akin to animal rescue. Except for the fact that buying them just keeps Walmart in the business of selling live fish. My son decided that the fish looked unhealthy, and he didn't want to introduce them to his aquarium. No purchase yet.

On our way out, we spotted a rack of posters. It's important to note here that the FIRST thing I said to myself upon entering this bargain emporium was "I will not be buying myself anything here today." And I didn't. But I guess "myself" narrowed the field; is buying for another person an offense? I intended, when I undertook to adhere to The Compact, that I would not buy new things for Other People either, except perhaps for birthday gifts for those who have not chosen to live this way and have no desire to receive used or handmade goods for their birthdays! Anyway, I was firm in my resolve to not purchase anything for *myself*, and that was never at risk. But the posters. My son's room is bare. He gets bored at my house. Maybe putting up a poster would personalize the space for him, make him happy. They're cheap. He zeroed right in, blushing madly, on the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Girl. He closed the racks quickly, slipped a rolled up poster under his arm with the flesh tones discretely hidden, and headed for the register. He was smiling. Happy. It was less than five bucks. How could I not?

Do you let a noble goal like The Compact interfere with a fleeting opportunity to build a bridge with your teenage child, to make him smile? Score One for Bikini Girl.

Comments

Popular Posts